Relief for Dry Eye Syndrome or Chronic Dry Eyes! Do you have these symptoms? Red, scratchy, burning eyes, or excess tears? You could have a condition called Ocular Surface Disease, otherwise known as Dry Eye Syndrome or Chronic Dry Eye. Over-the-counter or prescription remedies only treat the symptoms but the Okulo (oh-KOOL-oh) Warmer is a natural way to treat the cause.
Even if your eyes produce tears, if they are also burning or scratchy then the tear quality could be poor due to a condition called meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). The meibomian glands secrete oil into the tears but if there is a blockage then they can't do their job and the tears evaporate too quickly. MGD is the leading cause of Dry Eye Syndrome. It is also sometimes associated with an eyelid problem called blepharitis.
The most common treatment for Dry Eye Syndrome is to apply heat to the eyelids for 5-10 minutes twice a day. The Okulo Warmer is shaped like an Eye Pillow but filled with polyacrylamide, a super absorbent, non-toxic polymer that holds up to 400x its weight in water. The 100% cotton fabric slowly draws the moisture out of the gel beads and it provides warmth and humidity to your eyes much more conveniently than a wet facecloth.
- Soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Distribute the gel evenly 10 minutes into the soaking time. Avoid over soaking.
- Pat dry with a towel.
- If needed, microwave gently for 30 seconds.
- Important: Test the temperature of the Okulo Warmer before placing on your eyes! Your eyelids are very sensitive and you really don't want to burn them.
- When the temperature is adequate, place over your eyes for a warm pack that lasts.
- Hang to dry when not in use. After several days the beads will crystallize back to normal.
- To clean: Hand wash with a couple drops of dish soap. Rinse well and hang to dry. Do not machine wash. Do not iron the beads.
- Okulo Warmers don't absorb hard water very well. If you have hard water, soak the Okulo Warmer in fresh spring or distilled water for best results.
- Try the Flaxseed Eye Pillow for a warm, dry heat.
Not all colours pictured above are available. Not all colours available are pictured above. The current colours available are shown in the colour picker on the side.
What's the difference between the Okulo Cooler and Okulo Warmer?
Absolutely nothing! In fact, the packaging you receive may say "Okulo Cooler" on it. I created the Okulo Warmer product on the website to make it easier for people to find if that's what they're looking for.
"Okulo" is the Esperanto word for "Eye". See what I did there?